A GLIMPSE OF INTER-PLANETARY FILE SYSTEM (IPFS)
What is IPFS?
Inter-Planetary File System (IPFS) is a decentralized platform providing peer-to-peer hypermedia distribution on an Internet-like scale. IPFS network of data communication systems that manifest as a distributed file system. It is an open source project brought up by Protocol Labs in association with open source community. IPFS was developed with intent to create a permanent and decentralized method of storing and sharing files.
IPFS versus HTTP- IPFS aims to knock down HTTP and revolutionize web!
- HTTP (Hyper Text Transmission Protocol) downloads a file from one node at a time, instead of assembling pieces from multiple nodes simultaneously. This raises the bandwidth costs by upto 60%. IPFS distributes enormous amount of data with greater efficiency. Further, it saves storage space by avoiding duplicity.
- Increasing consolidation of control to a centralized system in web limits the expansion of its scope and opportunities of growth.IPFS is stuck to the original vision of the open and flat web, and thereby, turns that vision to a reality effectively.
- IPFS aidsdevelopment of extensively pliable networks which enable persistent availability with or without Internet backbone connectivity. This will reduce dependency of a wide range of applications on irregularly fluctuating internet connectivity.
The IPFS Machinery
- When a file is fed in the IPFS, every block of the file is assigned a cryptographic hash (or a unique fingerprint).
- IPFS tracks the version history of the file across the network and omits duplications.
- Each network node stores the part ofcontent it is interested in along with some indexing information that helps figure out who is storing what.
- When the user instructs the system to find a file, it is actually giving commands to find nodes that store content behind the unique hash.
- Files are recognized by human-readable names assigned by IPNS (a decentralized naming system).
IPFS and Blockchain
IPFS and the Blockchain are soulmates!
Address the myriad of data with IPFS; place the undeviating IPFS links into a blockchain transaction and you’re done!
This timestamps and secures your content, without putting it up on the chain itself.
Tags: how does the blockchain work, blockchain data structure, how does blockchain work, blockchain news, how blockchain works, blockchain database, blockchain technology, blockchain applications, blockchain explained, blockchain, what is a blockchain, blockchain com, blockchain app, what is the blockchain, ipfs, blockchain ipfs
Hitesh Malviya is the Founder of ItsBlockchain. He is one of the most early adopters of blockchain & cryptocurrency enthusiast in India. After being into space for a few years, he started IBC in 2016 to help other early adopters learn about the technology.
Before IBC, Hitesh has founded 4 companies in the cyber security & IT space.